The English and Spanish Language Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V user manual / operating instructions (Sony calls it the “Cyber-shot DSC-HX9/HX9V Digital Still Camera / Instruction Manual”) is now online and available for download at Sony.com (right-click and save the user guide to your hard drive).
If the download link for the Sony HX9V user manual didn’t work for you, go to the Sony eSupport — DSC-HX9V — Manuals / Specs / Warranty and manually locate the link titled “Instruction Manual”.
Unlike with Nikon, Sony allows you to freely print the HX9V owner’s handbook without building in any password protection into the PDF.
The file size of 64-page Sony HX9V Adobe Acrobat PDF document is 2.8 MB (megabytes).
The guide discusses the features of the Cybershot DSC-HX9V / DSX-HX9 and how to use the camera. The main difference between the two models is the HX9V has a built-in GPS sensor which can be set to record location information in your photos (see GPS setting (DSC-HX9V only)) while the HX9 does not.
It also describes the use of, and camera settings for several optional accessories. Some examples are:
- Pages 14 to 15: Proper insertion, use and removal of SD, SDHC or the latest SDXC memory cards.
- Additionally, the camera can make use of the following Sony memory cards, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo and Memory Stick Duo.
- For recording movies, only the following cards can be used: Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, and Class 4 or faster versions of SD, SDHC and SDXC cards.
- Page 8, 23 and 29: You’ll need a cable with a HDMI Mini connector on the end that connects to the HX9V in order to view high-quality movies and photos from the camera on HDTV sets.
At the time of writing, Sony did not provide a download link for the more advanced “Cyber-shot User Guide / Handbook” which can be found on the CD-ROM that comes with the camera. If you’re purchasing the HX9V or HX9 as a used item, be sure to inquire from the seller as to whether the CD-ROM is included in the package.
The Cyber-shot User Guide is however, available online at DSC-HX9/HX9V | Cyber-shot User Guide. An example of additional content you can find there is Viewing an image on a “BRAVIA” Sync-compatible TV.
Here’s a list of related photography tips, books, DVDs and media that you might want to refer to for a tutorial-based approach to learning how to take great digital photos with the Sony HX9V:
- A couple of general pointers in Photography Tips.
- Digital Photography Secrets — Starts off with a free e-course on the basics of great photography.
- Popular Sony HX9V books and other printed literature and reading material in the Arts & Photography and Books section on Amazon.com.
- DVDs on Photography and Photography Tutorials.