Melyssa contemplated the purchase of a Nikon D50 kit that comes with the Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX lens as a standard and requested for samples of images taken with this setup. What resulted was an avalanche of awesome pics from owners of this kit.
The start of the thread is here, but I’ve taken the liberty to link to, and thumbnail those images which I personally found to be, in a word, fantastic.
- Three landscape images
- Dragonfly closeup
- Girl with black cat. You’ll get a good idea of the D50’s ability to render pleasing skin tones from this picture.
- Picture of horses on an outing to Cades Cove in the Smokies; the image won Picture-Of-The-Day
- Engine #1. Engine #2
- Nineteen beach pics. You can grab shots like these when it’s sunny.
- Fantastic landscape shot from Lake Minnewanka, Banff National Park. See more of Vostok1’s nature pics here.
- Breathtaking castle pics by Tehmac
- Night photography by Luc De Jaeger. Outstanding is an understatement for these two images (Night photo #1 of the Ghent Festivities (Gentse Feesten); Night photo #2, evening at Gent, Belgium) with absolutely no postprocessing.
It looks like the Nikkor 18-55mm (plus the requisite photographic skills) performs at a level well above its asking price.